Although social media may be contributing to the “Selfie Syndrome,” it’s really just normalizing and encouraging those of us who already have Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). What makes NPD a disorder, you ask? Well, you need FIVE or MORE of the following symptoms*:
- Exaggerates own importance
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence or ideal romance
- Believes he or she is special and can only be understood by other special people or institutions
- Requires constant attention and admiration from others
- Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
- Takes advantage of others to reach his or her own goals
- Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
- Is often envious of others or believes other people are envious of him or her
- Shows arrogant behaviors and attitudes
So if you or someone you know shows 5 or more symptoms above, and it gets in the way of relationships, work, home and/or school, then seek out mental health treatment. With the help of a licensed counselor, like a LMFT, you can talk about your thoughts, feelings and behaviors in a safe, nonjudgmental and confidential space.
If what you’re doing isn’t working anymore, talk it out with me. Relationships are complicated, so why let them complicate your life?
If you’d like to start online therapy with me, please call me for a free 15 minute assessment session.